El Hadji Diouf bailed, Anton Ferdinand interviewed, after bloody nightclub brawl in Manchester (report)
Published 11:07 16/04/12 By MirrorFootball
Former Liverpool, Bolton and Blackburn star El Hadji Diouf was reportedly among six men arrested in the early hours of Sunday morning after a nightclub brawl which left a man seriously hurt.
The Doncaster Rovers striker was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder at the Circle Club, a Manchester club, and is thought to be among five who have been bailed until May 23.
QPR's Anton Ferdinand is understood to have been interviewed under police caution in relation to the same alleged incident, but not arrested.
A 33-year-old man, who reportedly suffered injuries to his face and neck, is seriously ill but stable in hospital, said a Greater Manchester Police spokesman.
The alleged incident took place at 3.40am on Sunday in the Circle Club. The injured man was found close to the Barton Arcade club.
A Police statement said: "Six men were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder, five of whom have been bailed until 23 May pending further police inquiries. Another man has assisted the investigation, which is ongoing."
Diouf, 31, who appeared for Senegal in the 2002 World Cup, did not play in Doncaster's 4-3 defeat by Portsmouth on Saturday, which saw them relegated from the Championship.
Ferdinand, 27, who was a team-mate of Diouf's at Sunderland and is the brother of Manchester United and England defender Rio Ferdinand, played in his club's 1-0 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on the same day.
A witness told the Manchester Evening News that tensions had been high between two groups in the nightclub, which was also hosting stars of TV show Geordie Shore. Trouble is thought to have spilled outside of the club and onto nearby Deansgate where blood stains remained on the pavement yesterday.
Police are investigating whether a bottle was used in the attack.