FIFA corruption scandal timeline
Published 12:51 30/05/11 By MirrorFootball
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke confirmed today that an email he sent suggesting the 2022 World Cup was "bought" was genuine.
It is the latest problem to face the organisation this year. Here, Press Association Sport looks at how events have unfolded.
February 4: FIFA's ethics committee upheld three-year and one-year bans imposed respectively upon executive committee members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii for breaches of FIFA's code of ethics following a Sunday Times investigation into wrongdoing during the World Cup 2018 and 2022 bidding campaigns. Three former members of the ethics committee had their bans reduced on appeal but the decisions against them were upheld.
May 10: Former Football Association chairman Lord Triesman, who also served as the chairman of England's 2018 World Cup bid, made allegations of wrongdoing against four FIFA ExCo members during a culture, media and sport select committee hearing.
Triesman alleged FIFA vice-president Warner asked for cash to build an education centre in Trinidad and to buy World Cup television rights for Haiti; that Thailand's FIFA member Worawi Makudi wanted to be given the television rights to a friendly between England and the Thai national team; that Paraguay's FIFA member Nicolas Leoz asked for a knighthood and that Brazil's FIFA member Ricardo Terra Teixeira asked Triesman to "come and tell me what you have got for me".
During the Parliamentary committee, two other FIFA ExCo members - Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma - were alleged to have received payments of 1.5million dollars each to vote for Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid in a submission to the committee by the Sunday Times.
May 25: American FIFA ExCo member Chuck Blazer reported FIFA presidential candidate Bin Hammam and Warner - plus two other officials - to FIFA's ethics committee over allegations of wrongdoing during a meeting organised by Bin Hammam and Warner on May 10 and 11.
May 27: FIFA announced they had opened "ethics proceedings" against president Blatter. Bin Hammam had earlier issued a statement confirming he had requested that the investigation be broadened to include Blatter, with Bin Hammam alleging that Blatter knew about alleged cash payments.
Bin Hammam later claimed on his website that there was "increasing evidence" of a conspiracy against his candidacy for the FIFA presidency.
May 28: Warner insisted he was not guilty of a "single iota of wrongdoing". UEFA president Michel Platini claimed there was "no possibility" he would run for the presidency of FIFA.
May 29: Bin Hammam announced on his website he had withdrawn from the FIFA presidential election, vowing to clear his name when he appeared before the ethics committee.
FIFA later suspended Bin Hammam and Warner pending an investigation into claims they had offered financial incentives to members of the Caribbean Football Union, but said regarding Blatter that "no investigation is warranted".
May 30: Valcke confirmed an email he sent suggesting the 2022 World Cup was "bought" was genuine. According to Warner, the email from Valcke to him stated: "For MBH (Bin Hammam), I never understood why he was running. If really he thought he had a chance or just being an extreme way to express how much he does not like anymore JSB [Blatter]. Or he thought you can buy FIFA as they bought the WC."
On the same day, the successful Qatar 2022 team denied any wrongdoing with their winning bid saying their name had been "dragged through the mud for no reason".
Bin Hammam confirmed that he would appeal against his suspension from football activities.
Press Association Sport obtained a picture of the money which a Caribbean football official says he was offered following Bin Hammam's presentation at a meeting on May 10.
Major FIFA sponsors Coca-Cola and adidas expressed their own concerns over the ongoing scandal.
Warner issued a statement to welcome the FA's report clearing him of the allegations made by Lord Triesman.