Sacked Zola to sue West Ham after being offered zero compensation
Published 23:00 11/05/10 By Neil McLeman
Gianfranco Zola will sue West Ham after being sacked yesterday without being offered a penny of compensation.
Avram Grant is set to be announced as the new Upton Park manager after the FA Cup final.
But Zola has called in the League Manager's Association to fight for his money after his £1.9m-a-year contract was terminated. He signed a new four-year deal last year under the previous owners.
West Ham finished 17th after flirting with relegation for most of the campaign. But the Upton Park club believe they have grounds to sack the Italian for breach of contract for comments he has made in media interviews, especially after Sunday's final match against Manchester City.
His assistant Steve Clarke will remain at the club for now and review his position when a new manager is appointed.
Grant took Chelsea to the Champions League final in 2008 and has led Portsmouth to Wembley on Saturday despite the club falling into administration. The Israeli will be free to walk away from Fratton Park and has experience of working on a tight budget.
Until a deal is concluded, Croatia manager and former Hammer Slaven Bilic remains an alternative. Mark Hughes has told friends he is not interested in the job.
Co-chairman David Sullivan said: "We hope to have in place within three weeks an experienced manager. We will study people's past records to find a manager with a proven track record."