Bale fears history repeating in FA Cup semi
Published 22:30 12/04/12 By Martin Lipton
Gareth Bale urged Spurs to draw on the memories of their last semi-final heartache to ensure there is no repeat at Wembley on Sunday.
Tottenham have lost their last five FA Cup semi clashes since lifting the trophy in 1991.
But it was the defeat against Portmouth two years ago (pictured above) that still sticks in Bale’s mind.
Spurs dominated the game, yet lost 2-0 in extra time.
Sunday’s clash with Chelsea represents a chance for Harry Redknapp’s men to put the record straight - and comes against the club Tottenham beat at Wembley to win the 2008 Carling Cup.
“We let ourselves down against Portsmouth," admitted Bale. “We didn’t play well.
"That was a tough defeat to take, but we’ve got another chance to reach the FA Cup final and we’re determined not to let it slip by this time.
“Obviously we’ve got difficult opposition in Chelsea. They’re a great side, have done really well in the Champions League and it won’t be easy.
“But I think if we are on our game on the day, then we can reach the final because I feel we have the better team.
“We played very well at Stamford Bridge recently, it ended goalless but we had the better chances on the day and we probably should have won the game. That will give us plenty of confidence going into this match.”
With Michael Dawson out for the season and Ledley King and Younes Kaboul likely to miss the game through injury, Redknapp is set to pair former Chelsea man William Gallas and surprise January recruit Ryan Nelsen at centre-back.
And New Zealander Nelsen, who swapped a relegation struggle at Blackburn for White Hart Lane, says Spurs must show they have what it takes to bounce back from a home loss to Norwich in their last match.
“It was horrible on Monday and losing is not a good feeling,” he said. “Sometimes the Premier League is a fairly humbling place to play. No matter how talented your team, you’ve got to be going out 100%, and Norwich were.
“But we’ve got to put it behind us now, and look ahead to Sunday. It’s a big game for the club and a great opportunity.
“There will be a lot of twists and turns before the end of the season. It’s easy to get very down about one result but what happens in two week’s time, two game’s time, it can be a whole different picture.
“What we’ve got to do is concentrate on ourselves, concentrate on winning, and hopefully remedying results like Norwich.”
TOTTENHAM prospect Oliver Modeste has been discharged from hospital after recovering from a serious head injury, the club have confirmed.
The 17-year-old academy player, who can play in defence or midfield, had been in an intensive care unit after suffering the injury following a fall last month.
A Spurs statement read: "Oliver's family has asked the club to once again convey their thanks to everyone for all the messages of support they have received and for continuing to respect their privacy at this time.
"Everybody at the club continues to send their best wishes to Oliver and his family."