McLeish targets FOUR new faces to save Brum from drop
Published 23:00 09/01/11 By James Nursey and Ann Gripper
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is set to beef up his squad with four big-name signings.
David Bentley is on the verge of completing his switch and moves are in the pipeline for Kenny Miller, Robbie Keane and Argentine wonderkid Pablo Mouche.
Forgotten Spurs winger Bentley, 26, is having a medical today and is due to complete a loan switch from Tottenham.
But McLeish’s priority is still strengthening his attack despite thumping Millwall 4-1 in the FA Cup.
City are 15th in the Premier League after only scoring 20 goals in 20 games.
Former Rangers manager McLeish has agreed a fee with his old club for Miller and talks are on-going with the 31-year-old Scottish striker.
McLeish said: “Bentley has agreed to come to Birmingham on loan. We’ve just got to set up a medical in the next few days.
“I don’t like to count my chickens. Personal demands, medicals, many things can go wrong.
“We’ve spoken to Kenny’s people. They haven’t said yes or no. We’ll see where it goes from here.”
Mirrorsport revealed on December 27, Brum had been offered Keane, Bentley and Giovani dos Santos by Spurs.
And McLeish is still interested in his main target Keane, 30, if Brum can agree terms with Spurs, who originally asked for £8m for the striker.
Birmingham are also considering a bargain loan swoop for Boca Juniors’ exciting forward Pablo Mouche.
Agent Barry McIntosh, who helped bring South American stars Mauro Zarate and Andres D’Alessandro to the Premier League previously, has recommended him.
Mouche, 23, is tipped as a full Argentine international of the future and recently signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract with a £12.5m buy-out clause.
He is applying for an Italian passport to enable him to play in Europe and is also a target for Parma, Fiorentina and Lyon.
Should Birmingham succeed in getting at least two strikers, it will place a big question mark over the future of £6m summer signing Nikola Zigic, who has flopped.
Meanwhile, Brum have not given up keeping out of contract winger Sebastian Larsson and remain in contact with his representative about a new deal.
City are willing to more than triple the Swedish midfielder’s £8,000-a-week contract to stay as they know it will cost more to replace him.