Wayne Rooney statement: This is where I belong
Published 13:10 22/10/10 By MirrorFootball
Wayne Rooney has issued a statement explaining his decision to sign a new five-year deal at Manchester United.
The striker recognises damage has been done, possibly inside the dressing room and certainly with the fans who have regarded him as one of their own since he first arrived from Everton in 2004.
He also understands the need to improve his form, which has suffered so badly since he sustained an ankle injury against Bayern Munich in March, the last time he scored a goal for his club in open play.
"I am delighted to sign another deal at United," he said.
"In the last couple of days, I have talked to the manager and the owners and they have convinced me this is where I belong.
"I said on Wednesday the manager is a genius and it is his belief and support that have convinced me to stay.
"I am signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history - which is the reason I joined the club in the first place.
"I am sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they have read and seen.
"But my position was from concern over the future.
"The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."