Weird World Cup: 10 amazing facts about Mexico
1) Javier Aguirre, who replaced Sven Goran Eriksson as Mexico boss, endeared himself to fans during July 2009's Gold Cup when, as Pana's Ricardo Phillips dashed down the right wing past his technical area, he stuck out his leg to stop the attack. Both he and Phillips, who reacted angrily, were sent off and the game was nearly abandoned as fans threw beer bottles onto the pitch for the rest of the match - at one point causing injured Blas Perez of Panama to fall out of his stretcher.
2) Then again, Aguirre has got previous as a hot-head. While coaching Atletico Madrid in 2008, he was given a two-game Uefa ban for repeatedly swearing at Marseille's Mathieu Valbuena, calling him a "son of a whore" among other insults. Aguirre wasw also sent off for Mexico in the 1986
3) Cuauhtemoc Blanco is known for his elaborate goal celebrations. In the past he's imitated a urinating dog by cocking his leg on the goal-line, hurled himself into the back of the net, taken off his boots and placed them on a team-mate's back and impersonated an archer - apparently in tribute to the Aztec emperor he is named after.
4) Mexican pop star Belinda has written a song about losing her virginity to Giovani Dos Santos. She also had an ankle tattoo to commemorate the event, but alas the couple have now split up.
5) The buyout clause in Rafael Marquez's Barcelona contract says the commanding defender can go for a very reasonable £86million.
6) Andres Guardado has split from model wife Briana Morales, with soap opera actress Mariana Avila - who recently posed nude and wrapped in a tennis net for H Extremo Sport magazine - mentioned as a possible cause.
7) New Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez is known as El Chicharito - The Little Pea. That's because dad Javier Snr was known as The Pea because of his green eyes.
8) Hernandez kept his Old Trafford move secret from his girlfriend and family for a week in case it broke down. Even grandad Tomas Balcazar, who played for Mexico at the 1954 finals, was told The Little Pea was going on holiday to America rather than heading for Greater Manchester.
9) Midfielder Israel Castro scored a brilliant 25-yard curling winner when Club Nacional beat Real Madrid in a 2004 pre-season tournament. Now fans call him Asesino De Galácticos - assassin of the Galaticos.
10) Adolfo 'Bofo' Batistuta wears the number 100 shirt for club side Guadalajara and throws his boots to the crowd each time he scores.