Moses, Pienaar, Rodallega and Samba still on QPR radar
Published 16:07 27/01/12 By MirrorFootball
Mark Hughes wants more new faces at QPR before the transfer window shuts next week.
The Welshman replaced Neil Warnock at the Loftus Road helm earlier this month and has made no secret of his intention to bring in reinforcements.
AC Milan left-back Taye Taiwo and Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha were drafted in this week, while the Rs were thwarted in moves for Brazilian duo Alex and Henrique.
Hughes has been linked with a host of other players and hopes there is more business to be done, with some reports suggesting a move for Wigan's Hugo Rodallega could be on the cards.
"I think there was some talk of that," Hughes said when asked about the striker.
"As you can imagine there are a lot of conversations going on at the moment.
"Forward players, midfield players, defenders - that is what happens in the January window.
"In terms of concrete movement on things it really isn't worth discussing individual things until they put the kit on and start training with us.
"January is what it is and is a time when you have conversations with people in regards to the position of players at people's clubs.
"Sometimes those conversations are misinterpreted as strong interest."
Hughes was also questioned about interest in Tottenham midfielder Steven Pienaar and Wigan's Victor Moses to which he responded: "These are all names that get bandied about.
"If you looked at the list of all the players in my office we would be here for a long time."
One player Hughes confirmed an interest in is Mali international Samba Diakite.
Press Association Sport revealed yesterday that QPR are in talks to sign the Nancy defensive midfielder and Hughes hopes a deal can be thrashed out.
"We are hoping to progress that," he said. "He is a player I like and I think he will help us.
"We're hopeful that the conversations we're having will lead to something but nothing is confirmed as yet."
Another player Hughes has shown interest in previously is Blackburn centre-back Christopher Samba.
The former Rovers boss is reportedly keen to be reunited with the man he brought to English football.
Hughes was coy when asked about making another move for Samba, who again reiterated his desire to leave today.
"We expressed an interest and I think we actually put in a couple of bids, but that was two or three weeks ago," he said.
"Blackburn came out very strongly and said they didn't want to encourage anymore bids so that is where we left it.
"That situation seems to have come to a head between the player and his club.
"It is a shame as I obviously worked with Chris at Blackburn and I know them as a club and him as a player.
"It is a shame the relationship seems to have broken down, but it is their problem that they have to resolve."
Hughes' immediate concern is tomorrow's much-publicised FA Cup fourth round tie with west London rivals Chelsea, which could see new signing Onuoha make his Rs debut.
"Nedum has trained on a couple of occasions now and obviously we're delighted to have him here," Hughes said.
"He is a player I have worked with before and knew about all the qualities that he would bring to the club.
"He just wants to get his career back on track. He is a young man who has got great potential and great ability.
"I feel and he feels this is the best place for him now."
While Onuoha could feature, fellow newboy Taiwo is one of several key players missing as he waits for his work permit to be rubber-stamped.
"He was in the building on Tuesday but then had to go to get his work permit stamped," Hughes added.
"That has not been confirmed as yet and I think he is stood outside an embassy as we speak.
"It is taking a little bit longer than we hoped and we hoped we could get an extension from the FA up to about an hour before the match tomorrow but it doesn't look like that is the case.
"They said there is a 12 o'clock cut off so he won't be available tomorrow."